On a recent visit to New York City, I spent some time with my friend René, who you all recognize as “Own By Femme,” for a fun holiday make over! She has mostly type 3B, color-treated hair that she hasn’t straightened in over four years. She wanted to try something different than her signature wash-n-go, so I decided voluminous, soft curls would be a beautiful way to celebrate the holiday season in style!
Hair products and tools:
- Carol’s Daughter Tui Hydrating Sulfate-Free Shampoo and Hydrating Hair Mask
- Thermal Hair Care Hot Head Deep Conditioning Cap
- ApHogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer
- Aveda Smooth Infusion Style Prep Smoother
- Motion’s Foaming Wrap Lotion
- Ion Blow Dryer (substitute for featured tool)
- HairFlair Hooded Dryer Attachment
- Denman Classic Styling Brush
- Chi Deep Brilliance Silk Reflect Oil
- FHI 1 inch Ceramic Iron
- Aveda Brilliant Emollient Finishing Gloss
Total style time was about two hours and forty-five minutes, makeup application was an additional twenty-five minutes.
Keep and care:
Rene will retain her curls by pulling all the hair to the crown and securing in a few, loose bantu knots and tying a silk or satin scarf around her head.
Makeup (all MAC Cosmetics):
- Eyes: Woodwinked, Wedge, Brown Down, Expresso
- Lips: Viva Glam Rihanna lipstick with Brick lip liner (first, two looks), Smoked Purple mixed with Violetta lipstick and Nightmoth lip liner (last look).
We all know that teamwork makes the dream work! In addition to René Daniella lending her beautiful face and hair, this special feature was made possible with the help of professional photographer, Pete Monsanto of FlyLifeImages and MUA, Angela Sims.
ABOUT RENÉ DANIELLA
“OwnByFemme” is dedicated to highlighting the beauty of femininity with original style, and of course, big curly hair. René is actively pursuing a career in entertainment public relations, along with other passions and aspirations which have led her to create a platform to share about the beautiful struggles that come with being a curly girl, fashionista, and all around health and fitness lover.
ABOUT PETE MONSANTO
Pete Monsanto is a professional photographer, mostly notably known for his work in the hip-hop/music community with Grammy-award winning artists, such as Big Sean, and media outlets such as Vibe, XXL and Global Grind. More recently, his personal interest in the natural hair movement has led him to work with respected brands such as SoftSheen-Carson and curlBox. Pete resides, works and teaches photography in New York City, and is always an advocate for culture and a contributor to its preservation.
ABOUT ANGELA SIMS
Angela Sims is a New York City-based, professional makeup artist who has worked with MAC Cosmetics as well as the Off Broadway musical, The Black Social Network, and the online series, The Happiest People in New York. She’s also worked with TV personality Devyn Simone, of The Real World: Brooklyn.
For business inquiries, you can reach Angela via email at ansims1286(at)gmail(dot)com, and view more of her beautiful hair and work on her Instagram.