In this video, I sit down with celebrity hairstylist, Johnny Wright, to find out what you need to know in order to get the hair cut, or shape, you want! We explore what you’ll need for a consultation and give you tips for getting the hair cut you desire.
- Take pictures of hair cuts and styles you like to your consultation. Remember to select photos that are reflective of your hair type and density.
- Communicate, openly. Tell the stylist about yourself. The more they know about how you wear your hair, your regimen and lifestyle, and what you are hoping to achieve with your new cut, the better equipped they are to provide the service.
- Do your research. For shaping and cutting, look at popular Instagram pages with stylist features such as @thecutlife. Try searching hashtags with your city and phrases like “hair salon” or “stylist.” You can also use those phrases in a Google search to find salons you may like to visit in your area.
- Invest in your style. It is worth it to pay a little more and get what you want than to take the frugal route and end up with a terrible hair cut. Stylists with “master cutter” designation/certification will likely charge master prices. Skipping a couple brunches or happy hours with friends can give you the coins you need for that awesome cut. Save up!
- Get trimmed regularly. Plan to have your ends “dusted” every eight weeks, especially if you manipulate your hair often. This will prevent extreme splitting, allowing you to retain more length; not to mention, it will make washday detangling much easier and make your styles last longer.
About Johnny Wright
Johnny is a Celebrity Hair Stylist from Chicago, IL, and has styled for many notable actresses and artists over the years. His latest is none other than “FLOTUS,” Mrs. Michelle Obama. In addition to keeping our first lady’s hair healthy and beautiful, Johnny also serves as Artistic Style Director at SoftSheen-Carson, a L’Oréal company. Learn more about Johnny’s journey here and keep up with him on Instagram, @johnnywright220.
About Mel Burgos
Mel, known as “Rock Yo Rizos,” is a lifestyle blogger focusing on everything from beauty, to hair, to fashion and travel. Her new campaign, #IAmLettingGo, is receiving kudos for its empowering message which encourages us to “let go” of something in order to live better lives overall. You can learn more about Mel and her movement at rockyorizos.com, and keep up with her on Instagram, @rock_yo_rizos.