With fall approaching, straight styles become more alluring because humidity is lower and you are less likely to completely ruin your style by sweating it out in the hot sun! However, the last thing you want is damage from re-straightening with your flat iron each day. If you are relaxing your hair and trying to stretch the amount of time between touch-ups, or if you are beginning your transition from relaxed to natural (less than 1.5 inches of new growth), this system could help you better manage your hair when heat tool styling.
From Dark and Lovely, “The 6 Week Anti-Reversion System is designed to help smooth hair, control frizz, and lock-in shine while keeping your hair soft, full of body and manageable. This system features Thermal Active Smoothing to seal the hair and block humidity.”
This system features a shampoo, conditioner and styling cream serum (regular and coarse strength available) to set the hair. Each item in the system is sold separately.
- Helps smooth new growth, making heat styling easier.
- Provides heat protection up to 400 degrees.
- Controls frizz and blocks humidity.
- Locks-in shine for lasting, styling results.
Some active ingredients in the system:
- Cocamidopropyl betaine (an organic compound derived from coconut oil and dimethylaminopropylamine, a surfactant which resists external “forces” such as humidity)
- Glycol distearate (an emollient that makes the outside layer of the hair softer and flexible)
- Amodimethicone (a light-weight silicone that helps with detangling)
- Salicyclic acid (removes build-up and can help stop dandruff and flaking of the scalp)
- Palm Oil (rich in antioxidants, such as vitamin A and E, that help protect skin and hair)
- Glycerin (a humectant that helps pull moisture into the hair shaft)
With heat styling, the goal is to be able to wear your style without excessively flat-ironing your roots each day. This system of products softens and stretches your new growth making heat styling easier, causing less breakage at the line of demarcation (the point where your new growth and relaxed hair meet).
For transitioners, this system can help you heat style your new growth early in your transition (less than 1.5 inches) without having to apply styling tool heat to your hair each day of your straight style. Note: It is recommended that you limit the amount of heat straightened styling as you transition and use protective styles more often so that you do not damage your new growth.
For relaxed hair, this system can make heat styling easier and your new growth more manageable in the weeks leading up to your next touch-up.
Whether you are relaxed or transitioning to natural hair, I recommend the use of a hooded dryer or air-drying prior to use of your blow dryer and flat/curling iron. This decreases the amount of stress put on the strands that comes from pulling your hair while wet.
Where to buy (Here are a few retailers that carry this product line. Some items not available in all stores; search online for availability in your area.):