In this tutorial, I am going to do a braid-out so I can try some new products, recently added to Dark and Lovely’s Au Naturale Anti-Shrinkage line!
All of the products in this line have mango seed oil, which is packed with Vitamin A, which helps prevent hair loss by helping your scalp produce natural oil. They also contain bamboo extract, which is a source of natural silica that will strengthen and also help prevent hair loss. There are also several variations of organic coconut in the formulas that will help with moisture penetration.
Anti-Shrinkage Slick Slip Leave-In Conditioner is infused with mango oil and bamboo milk like all of the other Anti-Shrinkage products to give hair a soft, hydrated foundation. I like how lightweight the formula is, and even though it is a cream, it isn’t white and frothy, making it easy to apply and smooth throughout the hair.
- Anti-Shrinkage Easy Twist Gel N’ Butter is a moisturizing cream and a flexible, holding gel together, in one tube. The two have been formulated to work together and equally combined to cover the bases of what’s needed for braiding, twisting and knotting. I definitely like the packaging of this product; it pumps from the top with a feeder in the bottom to push the remaining product up, and it keeps the two products from prematurely mixing. I also like that the gel and butter are formulated for moisture, but it doesn’t feel too heavy or thick to spread through the hair.
- Anti-Shrinkage No Crunch Nourishing Pomade is a lightweight mixture of bamboo extract and a host of hydrating and protecting oils, including coconut, mango seed, olive, jojoba, palm and avocado. This pomade is great for smoothing ends, smoothing flyaway frizz and adding hydrating shine to styles in the days after.
You can find all of the Dark and Lovely Au Natural Anti-Shrinkage products at local retailers such as Walmart, Walgreens, CVS and Sally Beauty, through online retailers such as Drugstore.com, or at Dark and Lovely’s website.
Other products and tools:
- Anti-Shrinkage Beyond Gentle and Sulfate-Free Wash
- Anti-Shrinkage Knot Out Conditioner
- Hot Head Deep Conditioning Cap
- Design Essentials Natural Honey Shea Edge Tamer
- Flor Bella Boutique Satin Scrunchi
Total prep time was two hours with overnight dry/setting time totaling twelve hours.
Keep and care:
To maintain this style, you can pineapple and tie a silk or satin scarf around your head, or you can re-braid sections as needed.